The Tankwa-Karoo is scarcely a two hour drive from Cape Town, yet until recently the region has been known and explored by only the hardiest of travellers. It is a true desert, but after spring rains it can be a feast of flowers. It is ringed by mountains, the fynbos-clad Cederberg to the west and the beautiful, high Roggeveld around Sutherland to the east. Here are mighty plains the remains of an ancient seabed with extraordinary fauna and flora, flanked by mighty peaks scratching 2000 metres. There are breathtaking passes, fantastic ravines and a history filled with great joys and many sadnesses. Here were the first roads to the fabled diamond fields, lost roads to the lure of gold. If you crave silence you will find it here like nowhere else, under vast, star-filled skies.
- All roads from National Highways to minor gravel roads are shown
- The many classifications that indicate the quality of each road help you plan your route
- There is a special section about the roads. Distances are clearly shown with 4 x 4 information and warnings where necessary.
- GPS coordinates in DD MM SS format are provided for every road-junction.
- All tourism facilities and accommodation establishments are shown in the out-of-town areas.
- The map links to our maps of the Cederberg and the Swartberg and Klein-Karoo.
- A1 double-sided full colour map
- Scale 1:200 000 (5cm = 10km) 20m contours; relief and hill shading
- 5' Long/Lat grid
- Coords in DD MM SS format at every road-junction
- WATERPROOF and TEAR RESISTANT in plastic sleeve